For those of you that love a good steak but are worrying about keeping the weight off, here is a really wonderful recipe for the steak that is easy to prepare, heart healthy, and simply delicious!
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 (1-inch-thick) rib eye steaks (about 1 pound each)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups arugula, washed and spun dry
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts
- 1½ cups roasted peppers, rinsed and patted dry
- Small block Parmesan (about 8 ounces)
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season steaks with salt and pepper. When pan starts to smoke, carefully add steaks. Allow the steaks to cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on 1 side, without moving or piercing the meat. This will help create a good, crusty sear. When steaks are brown, flip and sear the other side for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove meat to a large plate (do not wash pan) and allow them to rest for 10 minutes.
- Place pan back on stove over high. Add mushrooms and balsamic vinegar to the pan, season with salt and pepper and cook until soft. Use a spoon to scrape up any brown bits on bottom of pan.
- Put mushrooms in a large salad bowl. Cut peppers into strips and add to mushrooms. Add arugula, pine nuts, and remaining olive oil to bowl, season with salt and pepper, then toss together until ingredients are lightly coated with oil.
- Pour arugula salad mix onto a large platter.
- Slice the steaks across the grain and on a bias into 1½-inch thick pieces. Lay the slices on top of the salad.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave about Parmesan over the dish.